Monday, February 22, 2010

aNYway: day 8

I'm sure you can understand how tired we were after the all night Ed Banger bash. What's great about staying sober while partying is that you not only save money, but you don't feel like shit the next day. And it's not as hard to stay up all night as you think without stimulants, especially when you're having a great time.

I was still out of it though, as I'd obviously slept in and had to hurry to meet my friend Melanie, who I used to work with at Tower Records back in the day. Melanie moved to NYC a year and a half ago to get her Master's degree; she loves it in NYC and I can totally relate! Shimosh and I were planning on going to the Polysics that same night, and Melanie had homework, so I didn't have all day and night to hang out. Of course I forget all about my camera, so I not only forgot to empty the memory card but also to bring it. Oops!

But that's ok, because all I knew is that I had some BOMB dumplings from Chinatown, super cheap, delicious, and filling. The place wasn't big, but it was really packed and busy, which is always a good sign. I'll post the name of the place once I ask Melanie, I forgot what it was called and where exactly where it was! LOL One of the best things I love about NYC is the mom-and-pop style restaurants, with no frills, where the emphasis is on good food. I like the lack of non-chain restaurants, where everything isn't so sterile and cookie-cutter. I'm totally into the personality, the roughness around the edges, and the authenticity of places like these.

After hanging out in Chinatown for a bit, it was time to finally go to the Gramercy to catch the Polysics! This wasn't our first time seeing the Polysics, but definitely the first time seeing them outside of LA! In fact, this was our first rock show in NYC. I'd seen them before at the Knitting Factory and the Roxy, and I'm not necessarily glad I missed them at the Roxy recently, but I'm glad I was able to see them in NYC instead. Definitely one of the most fun, energetic, and engaging live acts I've ever seen, no exaggeration.

We were worried about the show selling out, but fortunately we were able to get tickets at the door. The place reminded me a little bit of the Troubadour in LA, or a smaller Avalon. I don't want to be a hater, but I was not impressed with the opening band at all. Maybe it was because I was unfairly anticipating the live spectacle of the Polysics, and maybe my standards were too high. They weren't bad, but it just seemed like the usual indie rock drone and I swear one of the members thought he was Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead.

The Polysics though. The fucking Polysics. They're the complete package: they entertain you when they're playing music and when they're not playing music. It's genuine, it's amusing, it's hilarious. You dance when you're supposed to dance, and laugh when you're supposed to laugh. There is nothing like them. You have to be there to really experience them, videos don't do them justice:



Besides the relentless dance action of their songs, let's fucking talk about Hiro. One of the most DGAF performers you will ever see in your life. We're still not sure why we needed to be reminded why he needed a DGAF profile on here. We will never know where is energy comes from, but it never stops for a second. Shit, his glasses are covered in sweat after one song! He leads the crowd through chants, dances, and even jumping jacks. He only speaks Engrish and he does not give a fuck: he pronounced it "New York Shitty." If that isn't DGAF I don't know WHAT is.

I wish I could have recorded his announcements on how he wants everyone to use "TOISU!" in everyday life, and also about how he asked if the Polysics could be your Valentine because it was Valentine's Day the next day. "MUCH ROVE!" I really, really feel sorry for whoever missed these moments. I'm not sure if I've ever laughed harder in my entire life. Hiro fucking MEANS every word he says, too.

I'm glad we got to catch Kayo on her last tour. I fucking loved the contrast of Kayo's robotic deadpan stage presence to Hiro and Fumi's spazz outs. It's a shame because they all have such good chemistry and they all contribute equally to the Polysics dynamic. It definitely won't be the same without her.

But no matter what, it'll always be the POLYSICS OR DIE!!! TOISU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment