Friday, June 11, 2010

tiger style



... Or are they?



Here's the big debate of summer 2010. Well, for me at least...

You see, Wu-Tang is a way of life. One of the most conceptual music artists of all time are back to perform their classic "Enter the 36 Chambers" album in its entirety. Sounds like a dream come true. Well it is... kind of. So why am I not as excited as I should be?

Well, first is the obvious: no ODB. I have no idea how much his son can pick up the slack. I mean, it's fair compensation... but there was only one ODB and there only could have been one. Just because you're a blood relative doesn't mean you're as DGAF. I don't know, maybe he is. But ODB to me is just irreplaceable. Am I being too skeptical?

If I am, maybe it's because... well... real talk... Wu-Tang, when I saw them at Rock the Bells in 2007, were a pretty disappointing and disjointed live act. They were all over the place, totally not cohesive, and ultimately could not get it or themselves together to pull of a solid live show... I mean, they didn't even finish songs. They played my favorite song of 36 Chambers, "Da Mystery of Chessboxin", and it was cool but I wasn't as blown away as I thought I would be. I don't know if it's ego or if they just started being DGAF in the wrong kind of way. Curiously, A Tribe Called Quest is billed over Wu-Tang. Could it because Wu-Tang got a reputation for being underwhelming live?

So this is why I'm a little hesitant to buy my ticket... I'm a little broke right now and I know I'll get my money's worth from the rest of the lineup, but if I buy a ticket, it would be for Wu-Tang and I'll feel ripped off anyway if they don't deliver. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment