Friday, October 23, 2009

it's driving me out of my mind... that's why it's hard for me to find... PB WOLF IS DGAF!!!

I think I just broke a DGAF record for laggiest blog... it's nearing the end of October, and we saw PB Wolf at FYF on September 5. But that's why this blog is called DGAF, right?

I would do a review of Fuck Yeah Fest 2009 but I thought it wouldn't be complete without photos... and since we took the Metro, we decided to leave Shimosh's camera at home so we didn't have to risk not being able to get in. It was an $8 well spent, as we caught the one-day sale. Some of the highlights included Lightning Bolt, who were gloriously brutal experimental art punk, Tim & Eric, who did a hilarious and ridiculously legit parody of a '70s rock set, and No Age, who blew me away with their fractured distorted '90-style noise pop. I couldn't believe the sound and energetic buzz that this 2-person band could make, and the drummer was dropping relentlessly tight beats while doing vocals. PROPS!!!

But let's not even mess around here. The undisputed highlight of FYF was none other than the mighty PEANUT BUTTER WOLF. Sorry if this isn't punk or indie enough for you hipsters, because this was the only VJ at FYF and that's DGAF.

I'd heard all about him, and after tons of missed opportunities to see him, I realized what I'd been missing:

(Thank you to atwaterville for posting this!!!)

I wasn't sure what to expect at first, but the moment he introduced himself to the crowd and proclaimed, "I'm gonna take you back to the '90s for the next 45 minutes", I almost had a damn seizure. I almost pissed myself when Bell Biv Devoe 's "Poison" came on the screen, complete with bad green screen and a mean ass hook. If you don't understand what I mean, you definitely need to see this:


It continued with a total onslaught of nothing but '90s hip hop videos, including ODB, Snoop Dogg, Kriss Kross (I HATE to admit this but I realized these fucking kids actually had a bit of flow!!!), Portishead, Naughty By Nature, Cypress Hill... I can't even remember them all but all I can remember for sure is that he kept on assaulting us with '90s classic after '90s classic!!! I didn't know whether to laugh or dance! I did both for the entire 45 minutes! I TOLD YOU THE '90s WERE BACK!!!

I must say, however, I give him the most props the finale with WU-TANG'S "TRIUMPH". He even asked the crowd if anyone knew the lyrics, and I think I was the only one who raised my hand. TO END YOUR SET AT A WEST COAST SHOW WITH AN EAST COAST RAP SONG, ESPECIALLY ONE WITHOUT A CHORUS TAKES SOME MAJOR DGAF!!! I threw up the Wu-Tang sign while getting teary-eyed. Truly a triumph. Truly DGAF. He admitted that this was the first time FYF allowed hip hop! Thank you, PB Wolf, for making my night, and thereby possibly ruining my life in the best possible way.

I barely caught him out of the corner of my eye as I was talking to someone from my old school later, and he disappeared into the crowd... but that's ok, I gave him props on Twitter later, which isn't even a fraction as cool. I personally wanted to thank him for taking me back to the '90s.

He's playing in LA at Club Nokia on NYE... I'm definitely placing my bets for going to that. What a way to ring in a very DGAF 2010. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment